There are lots of cultural activities going on in the bars of Nice, where for the price of a drink, you can play, debate, participate, or just listen in…
Pub Quiz Nights
- Test your knowledge at Ma Nolan’s, where the Quiz tradition in Nice started and where the questions are in English and French. Monday’s are at their Old Nice location, and Thursdays at their pub in the Port, both starting at 8pm.
- Snug & Cellar Bar in Old Nice has staked out Wednesdays, and even though they’re the new-kid-on-the-block, their English Quiz Night is so popular that you need to get there well in advance to be sure to get a seat for the 8:30pm start. Corner of rue Droite and rue Rossetti.
Language Exchange Soirées
Ma Nolan’s on the Port holds weekly Language Exchange Evenings on Tuesdays for practicing your French or English in a fun and informal Irish pub ambiance. It’s kind of like language speed dating: every 25 minutes you change tables and come into a new conversation with new people. Runs from 7:30 to 9pm.
Franglish is another language exchange group that meets a couple of times a month at various bars around Nice for 7 minutes in English, 7 minutes in French, then… switch tables! A fun way to practice French and meet new people, and the more you drink the better you sound!
Popularized in Paris, Café Philos are a lively moderated debate (in French, bien sur) based on a pre-set question, and set in a bar or café…
- Local philosopher Bruno Giuliani holds court for his loyal philo-fans at the famous Bar des Oiseaux in Old Nice, on second Wednesdays at 8pm. They sometimes hold other themed Cafés and Salons as well… check the monthly schedule
- If you don’t feel like coming into Old Nice, you can do a more downscale Café Philo on the occasional Wednesday at Cave Romagnon, on rue d’Angleterre, near the train station. This scruffy but eclectic bar, known for their Saturday night jazz, also holds Poetry Slams on first Wednesdays. Click here for this month’s schedule.
Other Eclectic Cafés and Salons
- For film fans, the Ciné-Café is fun; it’s been going the first Monday of the month for over 10 years, and is now held at the Bar Felix Faure (Opera Tram Stop) at 7pm. It’s a fun, social, relaxed way to discuss (in French, bien sur) the latest films, and is moderated by a cinephile extraordinaire. No admission, just the price of one drink.
- Café de l’Amour, now that sounds interesting…! the Love Café is not speed dating, but an informal discussion (in French, the language of love) of issues of the heart, held in a bar/cafe, and moderated by Benedicte Ann, ‘Love Coach’ and author. Every few months she holds one in Nice, always at a different bar, so check the Cafe de l’Amour site for the upcoming schedule.
- Political types might want to check out the Café Democratié, sponsored by the MoDem party at the beautiful Brasserie Borriglione (Borriglione tram stop). Normally held once a month on a Thursday, but check with the bar for which Thursday.
- Poetry Slam This is an American phenom, part poetry, rap, open mic and improv. Check it out the first Wednesday at Cave Romagnon
More Bar Fun
Did you know that there is a Billiards Hall in Old Nice? L’Escalier is just off the Prom, under the stairway near the Opera. It opens at 10pm and has 5 tables where you can shoot pool until the wee hours.
The Aston rooftop Blu Bar has Salsa Lessons on Fridays for 10€: 8pm for beginners, 9pm for intermediates, and at 10pm dance the night away.
In fact, there are Salsa Lessons somewhere, most nights in Nice: La Havane at 32 rue de France has Sunday Salsa Class, Tuesdays at Le Sansas and also at the Grand Cafe des Arts (MAMAC), and Wednesdays at the Bowling Nice Acropolis.
- Back up to Nice by Night page