Pub Quiz Nights
- Test your knowledge at Ma Nolan’s, where the Quiz tradition in Nice started and where the questions are in English and French. Monday’s are at their Old Nice location, and Thursdays at their pub in the Port, both starting at 8pm and both free. The 5 sets of 10 questions trend to twenty- and thirty-something pop culture, and weigh heavily on pop music trivia, which plays loud and proud during the breaks.
- Dave’s Quiz Night on Wednesdays at the Blue Whale in Old Nice has more of a pub-style atmosphere, is only in English, and draws on a more well-rounded knowledge base. Dave formulates his 30 questions using a wide compass of interests and appealing to all age groups. The teams of 4 compete for the pot, into which everyone pony’s up a euro at the start of the soiree. Starts at 8:30pm, sign up on MeetUp. 1 rue Mascoinat; Tram stop Cathedrale.
For more on Quiz Nights in Nice, check out Nice by Dark‘s post, “Are you the Smartest Person in Nice?”
Language Exchange Soirées
Franglish is language exchange group that meets every Wednesday at the Boscolo Hotel bar. It’s kind of like language ‘speed dating’: you join a table and try to converse for 7 minutes in English, 7 minutes in French, then… switch tables and come into a new conversation with new people! A fun way to practice French and meet new people, and the more you drink the better you sound! Sign up for this one on Meet Up (see below).
MeetUp.com‘s motto is “Neighbors getting together to learn something, do something, share something…” which just about says it all. The site is in English and is a great first step to meet other expats if you are new to Nice. Click here for to see what’s being proposed on the MeetUp Nice Group for this week.
If your French is up to it, take it up a notch and try the wildly popular site OVS (On Va Sortir, literally Let’s Go Out) with at least 20 things proposed in Nice each day, from sports (tennis partners, kayak buddies, group runs) to cultural (‘let’s go to… the opera! live theatre! a concert together!’), to just plain social, as in, ‘anybody up to meet for a drink at the pub tomorrow night?’
InterNations is another popular expat group with a strong local membership that does monthly parties. You have to pay to join, but the parties are fun and the networking opportunities are vast.
Salsa and Tango
There are Salsa Lessons somewhere, almost every night in Nice, click here for the current schedule.
Why not dance the Tango under the stars? Regular Milangos are open to all and scheduled from 9pm on Thursdays Place Massena, Saturdays at Rauba Capau (on the Promenade des Anglais, around the point just before you get to the Port) and Tuesdays and Fridays at the MAMAC plaza (up the escalator at the Museum of Modern Art, off Place Garibaldi). Click here for the current tango calender, and then click on any event for all the details.
Billiards and Bowling
Did you know that there is a Pool Hall in Old Nice? L’Escalier is just off the Prom, under the stairway near the Opera. It opens at 10pm and has 5 tables where you can shoot pool until the wee hours. Le Blast, a fun American bar on Cours Saleya, has a popular snooker table upstairs.
You’ll find another 8 pool tables at Bowling Acropolis, plus, of course, 24 bowling alleys plus a pub and restaurant, so you can make like Jeff Lebowski until the wee hours. Tram stop Acropolis.
Café Culture (in French)
- Poetry Slam This is an American phenom, part poetry, rap, open mic and improv. Check it out the first Wednesday at Cave Romagnon, and occasionally at Le Jam (just off rue Massena) is a jazz club that also holds occasional Café Philo’s,
- Popularized in Paris, Café Philos are a lively moderated debate (in French, bien sur) based on a pre-set question, and set in a bar or café… You can find a Café Philo on the second Wednesday of each month at Cave Romagnon, on rue d’Angleterre, near the train station. This scruffy but eclectic bar, known for their Saturday night jazz, also holds Poetry Slams on first Wednesdays. Click here for this month’s schedule.
- For film fans, the Ciné-Café is fun; it’s been going the first Monday of the month for over 10 years, and is now held at the Bar Felix Faure (Opera Tram Stop) at 7pm. It’s a fun, social, relaxed way to discuss (in French, bien sur) the latest films, and is moderated by a cinephile extraordinaire. No admission, just the price of one drink.
- Café de l’Amour, now that sounds interesting…! the Love Café is not speed dating, but an informal discussion (in French, the language of love) of issues of the heart, held in a bar/cafe, and moderated by Benedicte Ann, ‘Love Coach’ and author. Every few months she holds one in Nice, always at a different bar, so check the Cafe de l’Amour site for the upcoming schedule.
- Political types might want to check out the Café Democratié, sponsored by the MoDem party at the beautiful Brasserie Borriglione (Borriglione tram stop). Normally held once a month on a Thursday, but check with the bar for which Thursday. Also sometimes held at the O’Staff bar on rue Paul-Deroulede (Jean Medecin tram stop).
See Related Pages:
- Where to see Movies in English (4 theatres in Nice!)
- English-Language Live Theatre
- Jazz Clubs in Nice
Back up to Nice by Night page